Client Money Protection

Money protection scheme to protect landlords and tenants money when renting through letting agents

Money Shield is a Client Money Protection (CMP) scheme enabling lettings and estate agents to reassure tenants, landlords, buyers and vendors that their money is safe.

If your agent has misappropriated your money, contact Money Shield to make a claim.

Money Shield will step in to reimburse landlords and tenants should a property agent misappropriate rent, deposit or other client funds.

Client Money Protection

Thousands of Lettings Agents do not protect their Clients’ Money so make sure your agent has CMP. Most importantly Money Shield offers the peace of mind that your money is protected if the unthinkable happens.

If your rent or maintenance funds go missing due to theft or your agent goes bust, your money will be reimbursed quickly without any hassle.

Applying to have missing money reimbursed is simple with Money Shield. As long as it has been reported to the police you can simply fill out our claim form to get your money reimbursed.

However claims seldom happen against Money Shield agents as we continually make checks to ensure your money is being held in a separate client account.

How To Make a Claim

Applying to have missing money reimbursed is simple with Money Shield:

  1.  Are you owed money by an agent who belongs to the Money Shield scheme?
  2. Have you reported the missing money to the police?
  3. Complete our Claim Form. Please provide bank statements showing payment patterns and a copy of your tenancy agreement if you’re a tenant.
  4. For landlords a copy of your terms of business with the agent will be required.


Scheme Limits

Money Shield will reimburse landlords and tenants who are out of pocket up to £5 million per year with a maximum award of £50,000 per individual claim.

Unfortunately, we cannot make payments for any loss arising from war, terrorism, confiscation or nuclear risks.

Leave the rest to us

Claims against Money Shield members are rare as we carry out regular checks however we will reimburse missing funds for all affected landlords and tenants.

An applicant can be a landlord, tenant, guarantor or a limited company, partnership or management association

How to make an application

To make an application please complete the CMP application form. Applications must be submitted within 12 months of our notification that a misappropriation has occurred.

We will endeavour to complete applications as quickly as possible but it is not always within our control.

Prompt responses from applicants, together with all supporting documentation will assist the process.

Email your Claim Form and supporting evidence to: